[Freeswitch-users] Load testing and thread use

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:20:31 PDT 2009

The core philosophy of the entire design is based on a single thread per
channel.
There is no way to avoid this.

What are the specs of your machines?
DId you try using the 2003 server instead of XP (a home version meant for
single users)

We have little feedback on performance on win32 (good or bad) but we do have
many people using it.

Did you do any more extensive profiling to see what is using the most cpu
(look for process explorer)

2009/3/26 Richard Lamkin <Richard.Lamkin at mettoni.com>

>  Dear All,
>

> I am testing FS as a call queuing server.
>

> My test set up is as follows;
>
> Two Windows XP (SP3) Pc’s  with 1.0.3 installed out of the box.  [ Before
> anyone says use Linux I need to use windows for a specific reason]
>

> I have a single gateway [fsb1500] on FS-1 configured to register with FS-2
> [extn 1500].
>

> I then use the following CLI command to create a call from FS1[5900] to
> FS2[5900]
>
>  “bgapi originate sofia/gateway/fsb1500/
> 5900 at richardl-5013-2.mettonigroup.com 5900”
>

> This happily connects FS1[5900] to FS2[5900] .  Codec set to G711a.
>
> I have one hardphone on FS2 with a call connected to 5900 to allow me to
> listen to MOH.
>

> I have been monitoring the system resources used by FS and have observed
> that for each new call a new thread is created.
>
> I have pushed well over 200 calls from FS-1 into FS2.
>
> All goes well with the CPU usage by FS (<25%) until 150 concurrent calls
>  when it starts to climb rapidly and at 175 (~50%).
>
> One good thing is that memory usage is reasonable with 90MB for 150 calls.
>

> My questions are;
>
> Q1 – Is my test reasonable ?
>

> Q2 - Windows XP is not that happy with large numbers of thread per app. Is
> there a way to configure FS to use fewer threads; instead of using 1/call
> can it be configured  to use to 1/(n calls) ?
>

> Q3 – If there’s  not a way to configure FS to combine threads would it be
> reasonable to consider modifying the FS code to allow the combining of
>  threads or would this be a mammoth task.
>

> Regards
>

> Richard Lamkin

> the system manager. http://www.mettoni.com
>
> Datapulse Ltd (part of the Mettoni Group)
> Registered in England and Wales: 4485978
> 9400 Garsington Road, Oxford Business Park, Oxford, OX4 2HN

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm