[Freeswitch-users] Load testing and thread use

Szymon Olko solko at gcdf.pl
Thu Mar 26 12:46:32 PDT 2009

Richard Lamkin pisze:
> Dear All,
>

> I am testing FS as a call queuing server.
>

> My test set up is as follows;
>
> Two Windows XP (SP3) Pc’s  with 1.0.3 installed out of the box.  [
> Before anyone says use Linux I need to use windows for a specific reason]
>

> I have a single gateway [fsb1500] on FS-1 configured to register with
> FS-2 [extn 1500].
>

> I then use the following CLI command to create a call from FS1[5900] to
> FS2[5900]
>
>  “bgapi originate
> sofia/gateway/fsb1500/5900 at richardl-5013-2.mettonigroup.com 5900”
>

> This happily connects FS1[5900] to FS2[5900] .  Codec set to G711a.
>
> I have one hardphone on FS2 with a call connected to 5900 to allow me to
> listen to MOH.
>

> I have been monitoring the system resources used by FS and have observed
> that for each new call a new thread is created.
>
> I have pushed well over 200 calls from FS-1 into FS2.
>
> All goes well with the CPU usage by FS (<25%) until 150 concurrent calls
>  when it starts to climb rapidly and at 175 (~50%).
>
> One good thing is that memory usage is reasonable with 90MB for 150 calls.
>

> My questions are;
>
> Q1 – Is my test reasonable ?

Memory usage looks good, I noticed on my laptop with Linux with Pentium M 1,6GHz that having something like 200 channels connected
makes very big CPU usage, but what to expect if every channel was connected to one channel.

> Q2 - Windows XP is not that happy with large numbers of thread per app.
> Is there a way to configure FS to use fewer threads; instead of using
> 1/call can it be configured  to use to 1/(n calls) ?

Anthony here describes that there is one thread for channel, so don't expect it will change.

> Q3 – If there’s  not a way to configure FS to combine threads would it
> be reasonable to consider modifying the FS code to allow the combining
> of  threads or would this be a mammoth task.

The same as above.

I don't know XP so well, but if it only has problems with many threads for one application then consider running multiple FS
instances on one machine.

> Regards

Szymon Olko