[Freeswitch-users] Detecting the origin of voice activity using VAD

Andy Spitzer woof at nortel.com
Mon Mar 2 16:51:01 PST 2009

Woof!

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:32:53 -0500, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

 I just had a look through that patent. Its amazing. There is a lot of
> focussed descriptive text, but a patent only really consists of its
> claims. Those claims are astonishingly open-ended, and characterise what
> people had been doing for many years before it was filed - "Well we, er,
> make a call, we listen for some beeping, and we may hang up based on
> that". That is a really sick patent.

Yep, I agree.  It was the ferping lawyers who kept "adding value" to try to broaden it.  What we (the inventors) wrote up was nice and clean.  It does have some new and novel technical approaches that we really did come up with...and could find no prior art for.  Then the lawyers got to it.  A true example of what's wrong with software patents these days.

--Woof!