[Freeswitch-users] Detecting the origin of voice activity using VAD

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Mar 2 16:32:53 PST 2009

Andy Spitzer wrote:
> Woof!
>
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:28:18 -0500, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>

>> NO.  You want something that people THINK exists and works well...
>> Reliable human/voice detection doesn't exist in ANY form.
>>

> I beg to differ.  See http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5521967.html for one way to do it.  It works rather well and can quickly descriminate between voice and tone.  I've no idea who owns that patent now (not me, for sure).

I just had a look through that patent. Its amazing. There is a lot of
focussed descriptive text, but a patent only really consists of its
claims. Those claims are astonishingly open-ended, and characterise what
people had been doing for many years before it was filed - "Well we, er,
make a call, we listen for some beeping, and we may hang up based on
that". That is a really sick patent.

Steve