[Freeswitch-users] How to pass Message Waiting Ind. from VOIP provider directly to the phone

Svetik VOIP svetikvoip at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 08:39:15 PDT 2009

Hi Guys,

I have a question about configuring Message Waiting Indicator (MWI).

I am running Freeswitch on Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop.
I have Freeswitch connected to the external VOIP provider (voip.ms)
and to the internal SIP box (Linksys RTP300) with one phone hooked to it.

I let my VOIP provider to handle voicemail, and I would like Freeswitch to
passthrough
Message Waiting Indicator to the SIP box (and eventially to the phone), so
it turns on when
I have a new message in the VOIP provider voicemail .

How to configure Freeswitch to achieve this?

Before using Freeswitch I had SIP box hooked to my external provider
directly, and I was getting
Message Waiting Indicator on the phone no problem, but since I put
FreeSwitch, it does not work anymore.

I suspect it is because Freeswitch has its own voicemail system and it
triggers MWI based on its state.
I want to keep things simple and keep my voicemail at my VOIP provider.

Thank you,

Svetik