[Freeswitch-users] mod_g729

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:55:30 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> Depends what you are after. Speex offers the quality of G.729 at around
> the same processing load. However, nobody seems to want to pay for the
> processing load of G.729. Almost everything uses G.729A. Half the
> processing load, but significantly poorer quality.

  Throughout most of this thread I've been using G.729 and G.729a
interchangeably.  That's sloppy on my part.  Most of the time I meant
G.729a because that is what most people (everyone?) uses.

  I was under the impression the quality difference wasn't that
significant.  I can't say if I've ever knowingly used "true" G.729.
It certainly doesn't help that G.729a is allegedly completely
compatible with G.729, to the point where I don't think it's even
valid to use "G.729a" or annexa in an SDP...

> VoIP is mostly a race to the bottom, and people wonder why it makes no
> money for provides. :-\

  Word Steve, word!

--
Kristian Kielhofner