[Freeswitch-users] mod_g729

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Jan 22 16:37:44 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

>>> Like I said, OSS FTW baby!
>>> -MC
>>>

>> Quite the contrary.
>>
>> If Speex means you require faster, more capable DSPs, you are going to
>> continue paying for them per unit.  At $1.6mil you stop paying for
>> G.729 licenses (basically a fixed cost at that point, regardless of
>> volume or quantity).
>>
>> I'm sure most of the big guys paying for G.729 have no problem with that.
>>
>> I love OSS and Speex as much as any of us; I'm just trying to play
>> devil's advocate and attempt to explain some of the strategy from
>> those continuing to pay for G.729...
>>
> Depends what you are after. Speex offers the quality of G.729 at around
> the same processing load. However, nobody seems to want to pay for the
> processing load of G.729. Almost everything uses G.729A. Half the
> processing load, but significantly poorer quality.
>
> VoIP is mostly a race to the bottom, and people wonder why it makes no
> money for provides. :-\

Amen!  A voice of reason. "Let's use a really, REALLY low-quality
codec to save bandwidth and then make it so the tech support calls
from the US go to places where the agents don't really speak English.
That way it will be both hard to hear and difficult to understand.
That'll save BOATLOADS of money!" Uh yeah. First off, Americans can
barely speak English. Secondly, if you make it difficult for people to
hear and/or understand each other then all that money you're saving
with smaller bandwidth will go to things like higher telecom costs
(longer phone calls) and higher payroll costs to cover the additional
personnel needed by these call centers.

As usual, thank you Steve for an enlightened viewpoint that makes
others think about the big picture.
-MC