[Freeswitch-users] Q931 decoding

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jan 22 04:00:29 PST 2009

Helmut Kuper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just an update about my progress in this.
>
> Currently I have working C code which creates a pcap file containing all
> needed protocoll headers in front of the Q931 dump. I use libpcap to
> create the pcap file. The protocol addresses of each protocol header
> structure are dynamically set by the code to reflect direction, sequence
> and timeline of each Q931 packet in whireshark. Wireshark can read and
> decode the current packets generated by my C code correctly.

Have you figured out how well the Q.931 decoder in wireshark works? The
decoders I have used, like T.38, are extremely buggy.

I wonder if wireshark offers a shortcut that you have missed, for
getting the data in. If you look through the supported protocols, there
are some which never touch an IP network. For those to be useful, people
must have a easy way to tie their data sources into wireshark. I've
never looked into what they do, though.

Steve