[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch setup as a "Dumb" SBC

kokoska.rokoska kokoska.rokoska at post.cz
Tue Feb 3 14:11:58 PST 2009

Ken Rice napsal(a):

> On Registrations we have experienced Registration/second rates exceeding 150
> registrations per second using mod_xml_curl to feed the users directory. I
> suspect, this number can be greatly increased if we were to feed directory
> with something that cut out the apache and php over head

If someone interested I have few numbers on Registrar performance:

DB server:
2x Quad core E5345 @ 2.33GHz, 16 GiB RAM
Centos 5 x86_64, MySQL 5.0

Registrar server:
2x Quad core E5345 @ 2.33GHz, 16 GiB RAM
Centos 5 x86_64

Tested using sipp with 10.000 and 30.000 "users".

FreeSWITCH as registrar - current trunk:
1. FreeSwitch si simply modified (code doing NAT-ping is commented out :-)
2. Directory is served through lighttpd and simple "C" binary doing one
trivial select. Lighttpd runs on the same machine as FS. When I move
lighhtpd to another machine, I cannot see any significat performance boost.

Result: I can go up to the 470-500 reg/s. and FS is heavy overloaded and
retransmissions occurs.

Kamailio as registrar - 1.4.3. no TLS:
1. Kamailio runs with usrloc db_mode 3 (no caching)

Result: I can go up to the 3500-3700 reg/s. and Kamailio server is at
0.3 load and all 8 cores are bellow 15 %. Without retransmissions. The
limit is DB throughput.
Just for "curiosity" I switched userloc to db_mode 2 (write back) and at
5000 regs/s I stopped the sipp test, because I saw the bottle neck
becomes the server runnig sipp (very old P4 box).

Conclusion:
While I see amazing FreeSWITCH performance on INVITEs per seconds and
concurrent calls (another galaxy from * point of view :-), if you have
to handle lots of registrations per second, it is IMO better to use
Kamailio/OpenSIPS/SER as separate registrar and "propagate" users to FS
through SQL view.

Hope this helps someone...

Best regards,

kokoska.rokoska