[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch setup as a "Dumb" SBC

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Tue Feb 3 11:26:37 PST 2009

Actually I currently deploy FreeSWITCH for high volume usage using
FreeSWITCH + mod_easyroute (I'm the author) and an advanced LCR module that
does things like load balancing across multiple media gateways, auto route
advance, and a few other nifty things... (this LCR module uses a proprietary
algorithm so its not open source but it is licensable)

With these things we do run OpenSER but only as a proxy to aggregate traffic
heading upstream toward certain carriers (like L3 who make any IP changes a
royal pain)

Now to get down to some hard numbers that we have experience

Equipment:

DB Servers: Dell 2650 RAID 3+1 or 0+1 depending on number of Spindles, Dual
3GHz XEON (single code old slow FSB ones), 4G RAM, running Centos 5.2 and
PostgreSQL 8.3

SIP Servers: Dell 1950 Dual Quad Core 2Ghz (E5335 part), 4 to 8G of RAM,
GIG-E ethernet, whatever hard drive was cheap at time of order. Nothing
really lives on these boxes but FreeSWITCH with mod_easyroute, mod_lcr_adv,
and some CDR processing stuff

DB servers feed all the route information... (yes we do the route lookups
from the DB in real-time, the problem with most LCRs in doing this is an
algorithm

Call Rates Sustained, 500 avg cps, > 2000 calls (that's 2 legs not 1), avg
invite delay 115ms (INVITE in to INVITE out measured with 'ngrep -q -t
INVITE' - Note this is not a true picture of PDD as a number of other
factors affect that, this is a picture of how much time we are adding on box
in delaying an INVITE message)

On Registrations we have experienced Registration/second rates exceeding 150
registrations per second using mod_xml_curl to feed the users directory. I
suspect, this number can be greatly increased if we were to feed directory
with something that cut out the apache and php over head