[Freeswitch-users] mod_conference scalability

Brian brian at proximosystems.com
Fri Dec 18 12:16:28 PST 2009

Hi  Michael,

Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it on the call. Anyway, I'm not sure
if discussing my specific case is meant for that type of call, is it?

After Brian's suggestion to use shoutcast and local streams, I was looking
at the code for those modules. I'm not familiar with shoutcast or icecast
capabilities, so I don't know if they can just pass though my audio stream
unchanged (as uLaw packets). I want to avoid converting from uLaw to mp3 on
the source server, and then back from mp3 to uLaw (or whatever phone codec)
on the other server.

I was wondering if maybe there was a way to make a stream out of an existing
channel, and have all the other channels just listen to that stream. It
would be sort of halfway between conference and shoutcast. I would call in
to the secondary server like I already do, but only instead of entering into
a conference as a speaker, the channel would just start producing a local
audio stream for the listener channels to tap into. It would avoid the need
to have another piece of software to manage (shoutcast or icecast), and my
support team would be happier...

However, I would still need to do tests for the streaming idea to see how
that scales...

Brian.