[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch vs. Asterisk speed on ARM

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:20:57 PDT 2009

probably disk i/o.

Is it some kind of flash drive?

make a ramdisk and simlink in /usr/local/freeswitch/db and
/usr/local/freeswitch/log to it
the default configuration uses a lot of high level features that use the
sqlite db on the disk.

We also offer commercial support where we could dig deeper into the problem
if you can't figure it out
consulting at freeswitch.org

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Rogelio Perez <rogelio.perez at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm working on a PBX project for the Sheevaplug<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.marvell.com%252Fproducts%252Fembedded_processors%252Fdeveloper%252Fkirkwood%252Fsheevaplug.jsp&ei=EOOOSo6ILcyOtgeNruTOBA&usg=AFQjCNFREhfy_erj5irBWk8XFUjkQOP-aw&sig2=pAHYlI15IbZ5Kcw0n-nIvA> ARM
> based computer, with the following specs: CPU 1.2 GHz, 512MB DDR2, no FPU.
> So far I've found a big difference between Freeswitch and Asterisk
> performance times.
> This is a comparison of the time it takes them to perform different
> actions:
>
> startup Freeswitch: 3 min.
> startup Asterisk: 2 sec.
>
> call extension Freeswitch: 6 sec.
> call extension Asterisk: 0 sec.
>
> shutdown Freeswitch: 6.5 sec
>
> shutdown Asterisk: 0 sec.
>

> reload config Freeswitch: 1 sec.
> reload config Asterisk: 1 sec.
>

> Both were built from sources natively (no cross-compiling), and they use
> the default startup configurations.
> I have managed to lower the Freeswitch times by disabling most of the
> modules and recompiling, but it is still far away from Asterisk (i.e. FS
> startup time 2.5 min).
>
> 1. Is there any way to further improve Freeswitch performance for the ARM
> architecture?
> 2. Can this be related to the lack of a FPU (the Sheevalug emulates the
> floating point operations).
> 3. On the startup I see this error repeated many times: [ERR]
> switch_core_sqldb.c:95 SQL ERR [database is locked]. Can this be related?
>
> Thanks,
> Rogelio Perez

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/