[Freeswitch-users] FS failover redundancy & load balancing

Szymon Olko solko at gcdf.pl
Thu Apr 2 02:13:48 PDT 2009

Ashley van Gerven pisze:
> Hi,
>
> I can't find much info on setting up a redundant or heavy load
> FreeSwitch implementation. Are there any
> links apart from: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Enterprise_deployment ?
>
> I imagine the entry level solution is to have two FS boxes configured
> identitcally, with
> redundant SBC software (recommendations?) in front, passing the calls to
> the primary FS box,
> or the backup FS box if the primary is not responding. Is that the
> easiest solution?
>
> What about a situation of having a level of concurrent calls beyond what
> one FS box can handle? I realise
> that would be a very large number of concurrent calls, but we would need
> a good plan on how to scale the
> systems.
>
> Are there recommendations for load balancing solutions? Either soft or
> hardware?
>
> My guess would be having 3 + 1 spare FS servers would work, where calls
> are distributed accross 3 FS boxes
> by a load balancer with one spare in event of failure.
>
> Also how would a FS box at max capacity behave? Does FS monitor
> available resources and reject the
> excess calls that it can't handle? Or would the load balancer have to be
> configured with the maximum number
> of calls per box?
I did not think yet about HA nor LB.

I tested how FS handles high load. All my calls are placed in mod_conference. When cpu usage gets it's limits then new calls can
be placed but sound quality is getting worst with every next call. When calls are hanged up then sound gets better. I did not test
it to see what happens when more and more calls are created.
FS has very low memory consumption and I think that CPU is the limit. I did not notice any monitoring of CPU usage by FS, but my
installation is limited to only few modules, so maybe I'm missing something.

> Would love to hear some experiences of deploying FS with failover & high
My failover is currently made by shell script which every 10 seconds check for working FS and restarts it if it does not work.
I use svn trunk so crash happens once a while, but they are successfully fixed by developers.

Once there was a problem that conference module was stuck and did not respond to my commands. I made script with netcat which
checks once a while for response and restarts if there is none.