[Freeswitch-users] Load test - performance not even matching Asterisk

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:06:27 PDT 2008

What are you using to generate the load?
What are you using to deuce the load values?
You do realize that asterisk does not send RTP when you call it with sipp
etc unless you have it configured to send some audio.  Asterisk cannot
generate it's own audio in most cases.  So that 100 calls may not even be
doing anything but sitting there blocking.
Also, if you are basing it on the load average, FS always has a high load
average because it distributes the load on the threads to get max usage of
the CPU thus the idle time and load average number can hover in the 100's
eaisly when the box is still completely responsive.

Perhaps you should just let us into your machine and call you on the phone
so we can get this over with for once and for all.  We don't have time to
keep going back and forth like this.

We are now 4/0 vs ppl saying there was a performance issue that boiled down
to us ssh'ing to the box and finding them doing something wrong or
misinterpreting the results so let's just get it over with.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Jon Bruel <jbr at consiglia.dk> wrote:

>  Thanks for the input.
>

> I have now upgraded the OS to i86_64 (FC9), and I configured without
> libcurl, as recommended by Anthony. The FS loaded without problems apart
> from some "database is locked" errors, which may be harmless? I ran the
> ulimit as recommended to unlimit all resources.  I started the FS after the
> ulimit. The same performance test showed a slightly better result. Without
> trying to make this too scientific, the improvement by going from 32 bit OS
> to 64 bit OS has been 10-20%, at the most. Still the performance is around
> 30-40% of the performance of Asterisk.
>

> With 100 a-leg (no b-leg, as all calls are answered by the echo
> application) permanent channels the CPU idle is 10%, with 60% system-load
> and 30% CPU-load. So something is rotten in Denmark… /Jon

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm