[Freeswitch-users] Voicemail - mod_native_sound

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Wed Oct 8 13:30:54 PDT 2008

I'm trying to get voicemail to work with G.729a clients in pass-through
mode, by simply using G.729a everywhere and not even dealing with
transcoding, even from/to the carriers.

I posted back in September asking about the sound file formats and how
to playback native G.729a sounds files for the voicemail menus, to which
Brian kindly responded, indicating that I need to remove the .wav
extensions from sounds.xml and convert the sound files into their native
format with the appropriate extension (ie vm-press.G729), and
mod_native_sound would take care of the rest. That works great!

For reference, here's that original thread:

http://lists.freeswitch.org/pipermail/freeswitch-users/2008-September/006541.html

The problem I'm running into at this point has to do with calling into
voicemail and leaving a message, recording your greeting, recording your
name, etc. Voicemail is attempting to encode the audio stream into what
appears to be PCM format, which fails since it is unable to decode the
G.729 stream. Is there any way to have mod_voicemail store the
recording, greeting, etc. it in it's native format without any
transcoding (ie use mod_native_sound) to avoid this issue with transcoding?

Someone posted a similar question on jira, but it doesn't look as though
it had been answered ...

http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/MODENDP-46

Thanks for the help,
Gabriel Kuri