[Freeswitch-users] More codec playback issues

Brian Wood bwood-lists at jacosoft.com
Thu Nov 6 11:46:23 PST 2008

Brian West wrote:
> When you're doing a playback with the native codecs you shouldn't put
> any extension on it.  It will automagically select the file based on
> the current codec of the channel.
>
> filename = "/tmp/recording"
>
> Then have a file with all the codecs you support then FreeSWITCH will
> pick the right one.

But what if I want to force a specific codec?

>> This script should beep, record until you stop speaking, beep again,
>> pause, beep, playback, beep, hang up.
>>

> What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is prevent FreeSWITCH from transcoding
on the fly. I would like to have prompts and menus pre-encoded in all
the codecs I expect to be using with my various endpoints and devices.

That script is just a really stupid test that I'll never use for
anything. I was trying to make SOX create a .G722 file, but it was
playing back all garbled, much like my GSM experience earlier in the
week. This script is an attempt to force FreeSWITCH to record in a
specific codec to determine if the problem was with SOX and the other
G722 encoder I tried.

I may be trying to do something that really isn't necessary, but it
seems like you should be able to do it.