[Freeswitch-users] MPL in simple terms

Matt Klein mklein at nmedia.net
Thu Jul 31 04:48:15 PDT 2008

Simon,

    Welcome to FreeSWITCH.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Simon Shaw wrote:

> Is there a simple explanation, in terms that a mere software engineer
> can understand, what the MPL license means?
>
> 1)      Can I sell FS under my own guarantee and support?

So long as you give proper trademarks and copyright credit on what you use and
how you present your "product," your own coded modules and your own support of
the platform is permitted -- is how I read it. This is the basis for using the
MPL licensing -- to allow people to build their business models over freeswitch
-- the MPL is business friendly.

Simple rule: If you're using code that you are not permitted to distribute, do
not use it.

> 2)      If I write code that connects FS to an external application that
> I have written, does the external application have to be MPL as well?

No. If it's via sockets, you may license the external application however you
wish. That is not the best approach -- you will see a perfomance impact.

 	- Stick to what everyone else is doing.
 	- Remember to credit the systems that you are talking to and the code
that you are using in one way or another !
 	- Do your absolute best to contribute back.
 	- Many people have put a lot of years worth of hours into providing this
platform for you to use.

Bear in mind, that you may also rely on the freeswitch base and create your own
closed source modules that talk directly to the API and compile it in instead of
using sockets -- all legit within the license.

> 3)      Extension to previous question:  What if the external
> application is Active Directory?

dialplans/mod_dialplan_directory supports AD/LDAP, iirc -- the directory serving
machine has its own licensing and is subject to what you've installed to support
that dialplan info.

- again, that's socket based communication -- there was, a while back, arguments
re: sockets and licensing on another, different licensed platform.

Someone correct me if I am wrong anywhere, please. x

Thanks,