[Freeswitch-users] Mod Fax: Error, problems and questions...

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Dec 4 16:23:33 PST 2008

Dennis wrote:
> hi,
>
> after we managed to setup fs with mod_fax and our socket outbound
> script, we have some questioons about an error and problems, when
> sending a fax:
>
> 1.) there is one error, we get always - no matter, if the fax was sent
> successfully or not.
> in the pastebin under http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/6338 you can see
> the error in the last line.
> this is the full log of a fax in fs console loglevel debug.

That looks like something annoying but harmless. It looks like the comms
path is disabled slightly before the flow of packets is turned off.
That's probably just a silly slip in the code.

> 2.) fax works quite good. we couls send long faxes over a normal fax
> machine without any problem.
> but for fast testing we are using a softfax (fritz fax). here we have
> some more problems.
> mostly a fax with one page will pass through, but more pages will mostly fail.
> because we are new to the fax thing, we do not really know, what the
> messages tell us about failed faxes.
> here are the top 3 messages (unordered and always one at a time -
> nerver at once):
>
> variable_fax_result_text => Received a DCN while waiting for a DIS
>
> fax_result_text => The HDLC carrier did not stop in a timely manner
>
> fax_result_text => Unexpected message received
>

> could someone please tell us, where the problem might be?

Does Fritz FAX means the ISDN card stuff? If so, that should be
something well proven. However, the errors you are getting sound like
the FAX at the far end is buggy. I think a log of the audio from one or
two of these calls is needed for analysis.

Regards,
Steve