[Freeswitch-users] Custom events?

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Mon Aug 18 06:51:41 PDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:48 AM, James Green wrote:

> I have noticed the wiki is pretty much non-existant on the subject of
> custom events.

Probably true :(

The best docs for this are generated by doxygen : http://www.freeswitch.org/docs/switch__types_8h.html#a658

>> From my understanding of the system thus far, I could create a
>> number of
> custom events that my applications can react to and perform busienss
> logic.

Correct

> One specific example: I could connect to FS and fire an event
> "MYPROJECT::OUTBOUND_DIAL" which a separate application could listen
> for
> and process further. I might therefore have a chain of small apps
> developing these and reacting at various stages.
>
> Is my understanding correct? Can I therefore register an application
> listen for MYPROJECT::MY_CUSTOM_EVENT and wait until another of my
> apps
> fires it? The next obvious question is how parameter handling works...

All Correct.  Params are handled as name/value pair headers in the
event.  To add headers see switch_event_add_header/
switch_event_add_header_string functions.  You can access these with
switch_event_get_header.  Events also have bodies
switvh_event_add_body/switch_event_get_body.  A full detail of the
event functions is at http://www.freeswitch.org/docs/switch__event_8h.html
.

> But I shall try to walk before running...
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Mike