[Freeswitch-users] Startup pointers

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Apr 15 16:13:36 PDT 2008

> Hello all,
>
>      I just downloaded FS from svn, compiled, everything went smooth.
> (all default) I can actually register 2 UAs, 1000 and 1001. I can call
> the conference, i can call 888, etc. BUT, I can NOT call the UAs!

David, welcome to Freeswitch!  The community will definitely try to help
you out.  First things first - if you're familiar with IRC then you
might want to hop on irc.freenode.net/freeswitch.  Second, if you are
not familiar with the pastebin then definitely learn to love it! :)
http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/  (The username and password are
displayed in the dialog that pops up, just log in and you're there.)

The pastebin is a great place to put lots of information that isn't
appropriate for the IRC channel (no floods, please) and it's usually
quicker and easier than email, especially if you're conversing via IRC
and someone says, "pastebin the relevant part of your dialplan..."

> The question:
>
> How does FS actually work? I mean, how does SIP UAs area mapped to
> contexts, diaplans, extensions, etc?

We've been working up a flowchart/diagram to explain this, but so far
we've failed. :(  It will make more sense once you get your feet wet.
There are several experts on IRC who can answer specific questions on
this topic.  Suffice it to say that FS considers security to *important*
and therefore it does not, by default, let the user do patently insecure
things.  This means a bit of a learning curve, but don't sweat it.  The
gang will help you with grokking the dialplans/contexts/extensions, etc.
For now, review the wiki:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Dialplan

I guarantee you will have questions - that's totally okay.  Send them
here or on IRC.

> Something else, I do NOT want to use radius, so, how can I configure
> MYSQL for cdr? mod_cdr is out of the tree... any hints?

I'm no expert on all this stuff (yet) but I do know that CDRs can be
handled several ways: flat CSV files, XML files, and using XML-RPC.
Depending upon just how creative you need to be, you can probably start
with using CSV files.  Later on you can definitely get fancy - I know
that a few of our users are doing interesting things with CDRs.  The
barrier to entry is probably lowest by manually importing the CSVs into
your MySQL database, using cron or somesuch, just to make sure that
you're getting the info you want.  (It would suck if you did something
elaborate only to find out it didn't work.)  Check out
/usr/local/freeswitch/log/cdr-csv/Main.csv for the actual CDRs.  There
is a brief sample you could piggyback off of in the source folder:
scripts/contrib/wasim/cdrload.pl.  (Hope you like perl!)

When you're ready for something fancy then check out xml_cdr.conf.xml as
well the examples in the source tree: scripts/contrib/trixter/xml-cdr.

Hope this helps you get going!

-MC