[Freeswitch-users] ENUM lookup and simultaneous dialing

Mikael A. Bjerkeland mikael at bjerkeland.com
Tue Apr 8 23:28:29 PDT 2008

Do we really need a config option to let the user choose? If the ENUM
lookup returns several records with identical order and preference isn't
it implied that the records are equal? IMHO the config option you are
referring to is already in the BIND zone file and is called the Order and
Preference on a NAPTR record.

Excerpt from RFC 3761:

"
In the case where the zone authority wishes to state that two Rules
   have the same effect or are identical in usage, then the Order for
   those records is set to the same value.  In that case, the Preference
   is used to specify a locally over-ridable suggestion by the zone
   authority that one Rule might simply be better than another for some
   reason.
"

What about: If the preference differs, don't dial simultaneously but
chained, in the preferred (Preference) order?

I am just concerned about whether the RFC _ALLOWS_ ENUM records with
identical Types AND identical Order. Can someone shed some light on this?

If these goals can be reached ENUM lookups may be used to route a called
number to one or more devices at the same time with optional fallbacks and
thanks to DNS it would be distributed.

Hunt-groups / Follow-Me could be done just by using ENUM.

Example:
Order 1 user1 at example.com
Order 1 user1-001 at example.com
Order 2 user1-002 at example.com