[Freeswitch-users] Should I choose FreeSwitch?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Sep 20 06:21:39 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Jonas Gauffin <jonas.gauffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ahh.. My mistake. I searched for both "FAQ" and "Frequently asked
> questions" without getting a hit.

The searching on that site is admittedly a bit weak, I do not know
what to do about that, nor do I have any control over that since its
the people that have direct control of the site.  I will talk to
someone and see if there is anything they can do in that regard.

> Then I saw this in the documentation guidelines: "Try to avoid FAQs".
> My conclusion was therefore that it was removed. But I found it now =)

The 'try to avoid faqs' in the guidelines refers to documenting a
module or something else.  If you were to document mod_something there
shouldnt be a need for a FAQ about that module, since the
documentation should explain what it does and how to use it.  If you
feel the need for a FAQ on mod_something then perhaps the
documentation itself should be extended to answer those questions. :)

> My point was that people who can't contribute with information should
> be able to REQUEST information. Those requests shouldn't be added in
> the documentation, but in the Talk pages or special request pages

I dont understand, they have to edit a wiki page to request
information or add to the talk section, but they cant edit a different
wiki page to actually create documentation?  Almost seems like its an
extra layer of stuff that people would have to actively seek out to
read and then update the documentation just to create this process.

Why cant people contribute to the documentation effort but could
contribute to wiki pages on the same system?

> I created the documentation guidelines page too :) But that's for ppl
> that can actually contribute in the documentation. Not for ppl that as
> missing or not understanding some documentation.

everyone can contribute, you make it sound like only some people are
allowed and others cant.  Maybe that is my misunderstanding when you
constantly refer to people who cant edit documentation but can edit
some other page on the wiki.

I just dont understand why this extra layer is a good thing, if people
can add to those pages they can add to the documentation itself.
There is a list of missing documents, which I periodically update, as
well as a list of empty pages which I update at the same time.  If
someone were to link to a page that doesnt exist, during the
generation of the PDF I would see that and be able to edit that list,
thus forming a 'weak spot in the documentation' list, which currently
is there, on the main documentation page.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200