[Freeswitch-users] Stability vs Features

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Thu Aug 31 10:50:30 PDT 2006

The key here is "modular" softswitch, which means, that while you make
sure the features you need are up to par, you can not load the ones you
don't need.  So if you don't need any functionality provided by mono
(likely in the early stages to be mostly advanced IVR type of
functionality) then you don't need to use it.  In regards to using
others libraries, I agree that we have to make sure they are maintained
and stable, but from a practical standpoint, using other peoples
libraries means that there are other people using them outside of
freeswitch as well, which should be a plus for finding bugs and making
sure you have stability, not a minus.  As for defining a minimum set of
features, that too will very much depend on the application it is being
used for.  For a basic TDM to sip softswitch, you need a stable core
switching platform, as well as a handful of modules for routing,
billing, and TDM and SIP.  Our primary focus right now is to make those
sorts of core functionalities bulletproof.

Mike