[Freeswitch-docs] Current Progress on Variables

Ryan Harris ryharris at airmail.cc
Fri Feb 16 20:45:28 UTC 2018

On 02/16/2018 02:14 PM, Bote Man wrote:

> This is one of the things that caused me to pause. The core developers
> have enough to keep them busy without me bugging them to update
> Doxygen or git pull notes specifying things like this. But, I don’t
> have enough experience with C to decode what’s going on in the code a
> lot of times so I hit a wall. I’m pretty sure a script would just dump
> every variable declaration without context to inform of its use.
>

> I don’t know how to solve this problem. :-(
>

> Bote

The script right now is spitting out links to the source code lines in
question, so /some/ discovery is possible. Once this part is finished to
completion, we'll get a better idea of what we know and what we don't.

I have learned a little by reading the code, but I think the next step
should be to try to figure out how to use the switch_log_printf and the
log macros. Running through the code with log output might give us clues.

Another way to inspect would be to subscribe and watch things change
with one of the event_handlers.

We might try exploring GDB to walk through each step. I'm not sure if it
would tell us what we need to know, but it's worth trying.

I have to say that going through the documentation has made me really
appreciate all the work that people have done over the years. Imagine if
FreeSWITCH weren't documented at all -- I know that I wouldn't even know
what FreeSWITCH was!

For anything we really can't figure out, it's best to set them aside.
Maybe someone will come along who can explain.

Or we will have to ask the core developers, with appropriate
compensation, to document them. I'm not sure what compensation model,
but I think the best way to have a complete documentation is a
combination of our collaboration and appropriate compensation to the
core developers.