[Freeswitch-docs] Completed Variables List Published

Ryan Harris ryharris at airmail.cc
Mon Feb 12 18:33:10 UTC 2018

On 02/12/2018 10:03 AM, Bote Man wrote:

> I remember  that around the time that I first started investigating
> FreeSWITCH (early 2012?) that there was talk of a script that could be
> run against FS source code to parse out all the variables used. I have
> no idea if it would still work after so many revisions to the source
> code, but if it does it might reveal new variables.

Ah, the rich man's grep. I've been using `grep -r . -e
"channel_set_variable"` to look around.

> BTW, this is the first I’ve seen these e-mails from Ryan, so they must
> have gotten stuck in a queue somewhere, we’re not ignoring you.
> Especially after all that effort!
>

> ¡Muchisimas gracias!

It's a pleasure. What I've been doing so far is therapeutic. It's like
spring cleaning!

On 02/12/2018 08:59 AM, Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

> Eg, is it possible there are variables in code that do things if used,
> but are not in the page?

That is correct - I would count on a lot of missing variables. All I've
really done is remake the legacy wiki `Variable_` pages and make new
pages for each variable on the Channel Variables page. And of course
merged any discrepancies between the two pages.

So I think right now, this is what is planned in quadrant one:

1. A differential report on which variables should be added to the docs
and those which can confidently be removed.

2. Start work on providing examples and definitions to variables with
missing descriptions (as close to 100% coverage as possible).

In the second quadrant:

- Begin maintaining this part of the documentation in a version control
system, probably git. And automate the changes using the Confluence REST
API. This
would probably coincide with converting to something like
reStructedText. We'll see.
- Research "doctests". I envision running tests for all the examples on
new releases to make sure the documentation is up-to-date with the
current release.