[Freeswitch-docs] Request for comment on new channel variable catalog

Ryan Harris ryharris at airmail.cc
Sat Feb 3 01:04:56 UTC 2018

On 02/02/2018 07:21 PM, Bote Man wrote:

> I gave up worrying about styling in Confluence because it seems to be a blunt tool. I used to get so annoyed at the CSS religionists back in the day because they'd want pixel-perfect design; I don't think Confluence is up to that task.

Style is the afterthought. The focus should be on cohesiveness. We can
make small tweaks later to make the design better.

> Having said that, I've never been too happy with the look of Confluence, so maybe we can mess with a style sheet in a test instance and apply the good results to the production instance? IDK.

It's growing on me... somewhat. The big problem right now is that the
old wiki's styles are messing with the way things look. It causes
fatigue because the flow is off.

> But the answer is of course modify the style sheet. The trick on the old wiki was just to use h2 because it was smaller, but html has semantic purposes beyond style: screen readers for the blind, for one.

HTML semantics is actually why I chose H2 - you're technically only
supposed to have one H1 on the whole page. :\ I hope it reads okay in a
screen reader. Part of the motivation behind the Django app is to be
able to address situations where we need the documentation in a
different format. Atlassian publishes their CSS documentation here (it's
how I made the datatype badges): https://docs.atlassian.com/aui/5.8.29/

They have a dedicated CSS class for adding context for screen readers!

> So we can't break the pages to make them look differently, instead use the style to get the desired presentation. That's my rant.

Yes - I'm trying to create minimal, correct HTML.