[Freeswitch-docs] Installation from source instructions

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Mon Feb 22 06:06:56 MSK 2016

The problem here is the shear number of things to be installed on non-debian platforms is still tbd in most cases forfull support.

Centos/rhel7 base support is understood and you can use the spec file as a guide for that, but it is in no way to be considered on feature parity with debian.

Why no feature parity? Unfortunately there are libs available on debian that the other distros leave out that due to current licensing issues we can not distribute. This is completely a legal exposure issue for the project not a technical one.

Until the other distros resolve this issue this will remain an issue. (If debian can figure a work Around i'm sure redhat can as well but they have not and dont appear to have any intension of doing so)

This discussion comes up all too often lately and has been covered extensively in various forums.

Now that being said there are 2 projects under way to get packaging done for ubuntu and to possibly expand the official packaging for centos. If this is something anyone is interested in sponsoring contact me or brian offlist of check out the go fund me that has been setup. Links for it are on the. Lists and freeswitch twitter feeds (sorry dont have it handy on my phone)

Sent from my iPhone