[Freeswitch-docs] Installation from source instructions

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Fri Feb 19 00:50:55 MSK 2016

I'm still concerned that Confluence provides incomplete instructions for
compiling from source. This is the way I always build it so that I can make
some minor changes before compiling.

Right now the finishing touches that help a user get FS running quickly are
abandoned on

https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/FreeSWITCH+1.6+Video#Fr
eeSWITCH1.6Video-StartingFreeSWITCH

The last time I asked about this the response was that the packages contain
systemd unit files and scripts that set permissions, but building from
source is still left out.

Also the current live instructions say to start FS manually, which will
cause the known problems with creating databases and log files as the root
user. By the time they get around to fixing up the newly compiled
installation they will have to fight those permissions problems, too. Adding
those abandoned instructions on the 1.6 Video page solves this problem.

Will it be OK if I copy those permissions instructions and proven systemd
unit file to the new Debian 8 installation page? Is there any serious
objection to having it where it can be seen?

Normally I would just copy it, but this seems to be a big deal and I want to
get it right.

Thanks.

---

Bote