[Freeswitch-docs] docs/SubmittingPatches | contributor guidelines

Travis Cross tc at travislists.com
Fri Sep 19 00:22:18 MSD 2014

This is an FYI about the documentation of our guidelines for creating
and submitting patches.  We keep a document in tree,
`docs/SubmittingPatches` that outlines what we want from contributors.

Lately I've made a habit of extending that document when I see a
contributor do something in a pull request that we don't want to see,
or conversely, not do something that we do.

The document covers how commits should be organized, what a good
commit message looks like (with an example), how to refer to issues
for our JIRA commit hooks to operate, and other details.  The document
is in Markdown format.  We'll be expanding this document further over
time.

We should find ways to encourage contributors to read and refer to
this document.  And when contributors make errors we've covered, we
should gently refer them to our guidelines.  Compared to just fixing
up the commits for them, this has the advantage of educating our
community on our norms.

Cheers,

-- TC