[Freeswitch-dev] SO_REUSEPORT for RTP

Tamas Jalsovszky jalsot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:02:50 MSK 2017

Hello,

I have a few places where using a SIP (or webrtc) endpoint demands opening
up the very restrictive local network firewall. Setting rtp port range
would be the way to go, however usually the simple math (e.g. setting the
range for 2x the number of endpoints) is still not welcomed by local
network admins - paranoid ones :)

My idea here is whether we could use SO_REUSEPORT in the RTP stack (I've
found in sofia lib the conditional use of this option) and possibly setting
a very short range for RTP or even setting only one port (I'm not sure
about RTCP) as from the other side packets come from the same IP but from
different port, e.g.
IPclient:PortA -> IPFSserver:PortX
IPclient:PortB -> IPFSserver:PortX
IPclient:PortC -> IPFSserver:PortX
etc.

What do you think, would it be doable? If not, any other way to rapidly
lower the port range to be set at the endpoint side?

Regards,
  Jalsot