[Freeswitch-dev] simultaneous interpretation conference system

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Mon Feb 11 17:31:58 MSK 2013

Hi freeswitch devs,

This is my first post to the list so I want to start by thanking you for
the great work you have done on Freeswitch. And, sorry for the long
post! I have specific questions at the bottom...

I'm looking for advice on how to build a simultaneous intrepration
conference call system.

The way we'd like it to work:

The system is required to handle two languages, but the ability to
handle more than two languages would be an added bonus. For the purposes
of this description, I'm giving the example of spanish and english. The
conference call would have spanish-only, english-only, and bi-lingual
speakers. In addition, one or more interpreters would be on the call.

Bi-lingual speakers would participate in the call like it was a normal
conference call. They would hear speakers in the original english or
spanish, and would have the option of speaking either english or spanish
based on their preferences.

The english-only and spanish-only speakers would press 1 to hear a live
intrepretation of the call. When spanish is spoken on the call, an
english intrepretaton would be heard. When English is spoken, a spanish
interpretation would be heard. This would only affect what they hear -
they could still speak into the main conference. Participants would
press 0 to return to hearing the main conference call.

The interpreters would press 2 to enter interpretation mode. During this
mode their voice is not heard on the main conference, instead it's only
heard by people who have pressed 1 to hear the interpretation. When
english is spoken, the intrepret to spanish and vice-versa. They could
press 0 to return to the normal conference mode.

Ideas on how to implement:

First - has anyone implemented anything like this already?

Based on the wiki docs, I think the conference relate function would be
ideally suited for ensuring people who press 1 only heard the audio from
people who have press 2 and for reversing the effect when 0 is pressed.
Any ideas on a better way?

The next problem is how to capture the digits pressed by conference call
participants. I *think* this could be done by running a process that
listens for freeswitch events. However, I'm not sure how much
information is sent with the event. It would need to pass the conference
id, the user id, and the digit they pressed. Is that information sent by
the event handler? Or, is there a more elegant way to capture
key-presses by conference participants?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic,

jamie

--
Jamie McClelland

May First/People Link