[Freeswitch-dev] Sound Not Ok(Choppy Sound) after 250 ports

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Apr 12 22:29:42 MSD 2013

It sounds like you've already found that magic value. Like Steven says,
it's very difficult to have a pure formula because of all of the factors
that are beyond the control of the FreeSWITCH software. However, you're
doing one thing quite correctly: putting real calls on a real server and
listening to them. If there is a formula it must include having a
knowledgeable person sitting down and actually listening to the calls to
hear what happens when the audio starts to go bad.

Steven mentioned some other good points as well. First off, you need to
make sure that you aren't experiencing any packet loss. He mentioned
Wireshark specifically. I'd like to suggest that you add
pcapsipdump<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Packet_Capture#pcapsipdump>to
your toolbox. It grabs signaling and audio for an individual phone
call
and puts it all in a single file on disk. That makes it much easier to pick
out a specific phone call and analyze it in Wireshark.

Some other things you can try: run top command and see what your CPU usage
is. Get iotop and see if there's anything issues with information flowing
in/out NICs or to/from HDDs. Also, get another server and use faster CPU,
more RAM, faster HDDs, etc. and see if your magic number changes on that
server.

I'm afraid that there's no simple formula. Of course, if there was then
we'd all be out of a job. :)

-Michael

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org
>>> http://www.cluecon.com