[Freeswitch-dev] Sound Not Ok(Choppy Sound) after 250 ports

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 11:56:01 MSD 2013

That's a very hard question to answer. There's a large number of factors
that come in, not just the number of calls. CPU gets limited by what you're
doing on the calls as well as just the number of them. Things like
transcoding will increase the CPU usage per call and therefore reduce the
number of calls you can handle. The amount of CPU used will vary between
codecs. Conferencing, recording, voicemail etc too. Disk I/O might become
an issue if you're doing a lot of recording or too much logging. And there
are a number of factors about your OS that you can tune. Moving the core DB
to either a ramdisk, ODBC or PgSQL can also have an effect.

In short you need to load-test your specific use case since it may vary
from what others are doing.

Try starting here:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Performance_testing_and_configurations

The easier limit to calculate is network bandwidth. That's related which
codec you use and and the ptime you use (higher ptime = more fits in a
single packets, so less overhead but you lose more if packets get lost).
Try http://www.bandcalc.com/ to start with (though it doesn't list many
codecs).

If you're hearing the sound cutting in/out it could be packet loss rather
than the server if the network isn't able to keep up. Use wireshark to
capture the RTP stream and analyse it, look for packet loss or jitter.

-Steve

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org