[Freeswitch-dev] Installing FreeSWITCH sounds on NetBSD

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Oct 22 20:30:45 MSD 2012

The files we get from GMVoices are slightly "loud" for some folks, so we
run them through sox with the -v 0.2 arg and it "normalizes" them a bit.
However, I wouldn't do that same trick again on the sounds files in
files.freeswitch.org since they've already been normalized. If you do then
you'd definitely be lowering the volume to what many would consider to be a
really low level.

-MC

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net> wrote:

> I have just committed the music package for FreeSWITCH into the NetBSD
> pkgsrc tree.  I am now working on the sounds package.
>
> I looked at the FreeBSD port (their version of our pkgsrc) and they run
> a sox command on the files something of like this:
>
> sox -v 0.2 <filename> -r 8000 -c 1 /tmp/<filename>
>
> The -v option adjusts the volume.  Does this seem like a reasonable
> thing to do in general?  The default adjustment (0.2) lowers it quite a
> bit.
>
> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain
> System Administrator, Vex.Net