[Freeswitch-dev] SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 vs V8

Jan Berger jan.berger at video24.no
Sat Jul 2 06:13:01 MSD 2011

Hi,

I just compiled SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 and V8 into the same app to simulate
behaviour of a VXML browser. The purpose was to see if it was worth
switching from V8 to SpiderMonkey on the JavaScript cluster we use for
VXML/CCXML. The idea was that we maybe could upgrade FS and re-use this work
in FS rather than going through the pain of maintaining a separate
JavaScript engine.

SpiderMonkey 1-8-5 execute one of the test scripts ca 4000 times per second.
V8 managed 60,000 executions per second on the same script.

It's a arger difference than I expected based on some of the benchmarks I
have seen, but well speed alone is not everything. V8 do not support Sparc
:-( etc.

Jan