[Freeswitch-dev] Add accountcode to Show Channels

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Mon Sep 14 21:24:30 PDT 2009

Hi,

I opened a bug with a patch (which admittedly will need some extra
work), but wondered if I've maybe stepped on someone's toes, or if I
should be approaching the problem in a different manner.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is this:

(this particular implementation is to replace Asterisk for an emergency
warning broadcast system)

1. Originate a call (with accountcode to specify which customer of a
multi tenanted system should be billed).

2. Check how many calls the system currently has (broken down by
accountcode so that I can restrict individual accounts).

I realise that I could keep a lookup table of UUID to customer on
origination, but if we're doing thousands of calls in a short period of
time the list would become huge (we're load balancing calls across
multiple freeswitch machines), and I'd rather keep the data sent to/from
each machine to a minimum.

So, in Asterisk the way we do it is "show channels concise"  which
provides a list of channels with their details (much the same as
freeswitch), but also provides the accountcode which allows me to group
the calls.  By the way, the format for return from "show channels" is
fantastic, the code on my side now looks at the header line once (the
first time it checks channels) and compares each field to the list I
expect.  This means that even if the order of the fields is different on
different machines, I'll still get the expected results.

Anyway, so I put together a super small patch to add in the accountcode,
but get the feeling that it's not useful.

It's available here:

http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FSCORE-438

I noticed that if you have a call originated by a softphone, the
accountcode comes from the configs, and this gets passed to the show
channels no problems.

However, if I set it in the originate, i.e.:

esl_send_recv(&ser->handle, "bgapi originate
{variable_accountcode=bar}sofia/internal/1000%x.x.x.x 9999\n\n");

Then the accountcode is blank - maybe because it is initially set up
without one and the variable is set later?

Anyway, so where to from here?

Should I keep working on it (I'd likely need some assistance, but am
willing to do whatever it takes), or is there a better way to do it that
I'm not seeing because of no0bness to FreeSwitch?

Thanks for your time.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell