[Freeswitch-dev] CCXML/VXML module

Jan Berger janvb at live.com
Fri Mar 6 02:37:30 PST 2009

vxml is often used to create IVR services, and do have some popularity in companies that like to think that they can exchange the box if needed.

Most of us know that there are not a single vxml interpreter that don't have some proprietary parts, but it still means that with vxml you have an application where 95% ++ can be re-used if you as an example want to replace FreeSWITCH with another IVR engine.

The reason I mention IVR is because it is hardly worth using vxml (and speech recognition) unless you have an application of some complexity.

These applications need to interface to host interfaces, databases etc. The easiest way of dong that is through a web based service that is exported out as a wsdl, in which case you generate Java code.

The second reason you need javascript/java capability is because vxml itself is hard to use for logic - we are not talking hello world apps here.

Jan