[Freeswitch-dev] CCXML/VXML module

Matt Porter mporter at voice3g.com
Thu Mar 5 22:56:46 PST 2009

Im usually a lurker, but ill chime in here.. just to stir the pot a bit.

"speed" is being loosely thrown around here.... speed of the script
interpreter is usually not an issue.
A voice dialog based application spends 90++% of the time in a waiting or
"collect" stage, and the speed of the interpreter is basically moot.
Consumers will not be able to tell the difference is your script takes 50ms
or 200ms to process what it collected.

contention inside the interperter is usually the problem, not because its
XML or javascript or whatever.
for example, thats the problem with your mod_spidermonkey.

BladewareVXML will run 1000 channels at a time, and process the script in
less than 100ms, and on modern hardware will take less than 20% CPU doing
so.
compile it 64bit, and you can exceed 2000 channels and use around 30% CPU
usage with a basic script.
we had to modify spidermonkey to have no global contention to acheive this..
it takes hardly anytime to populate the vars necessary for VoiceXML.
VoiceXML itself is not slow.. is it faster than raw JS?  of course not.. but
from a consumer perspective they dont know the difference.

Pot stirred ;)