[Freeswitch-dev] conference vs. bridge

Kevin Raison raison at chatsubo.net
Mon Jul 13 14:37:04 PDT 2009

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle a business requirement
set by a client for whom I am writing a custom IVR using FreeSWITCH.
The situation is this:

Customer calls in, navigates menus, selects a desired extension.
Customer is parked, a new call is initiated to the desired extension.
If the new extension is answered, the callee is dumped into a menu
system.  This menu system tells them about the customer and lets them
choose whether or not to connect with the customer.
A bridge is created between the two legs and conversation happens.

Now, all of this was easy, thanks to FreeSWITCH and mod_event_socket.
However, I would like to add a feature, and I think that bridging won't
let me do what I want.  Specifically, if the callee hangs up, I want to
send the customer back to the main menu.  However, it seems that if
either leg of the call hangs up, the bridge hangs up the other end.  Is
there a way around this using call bridging?  Or, should I be looking
into a more complex setup using mod_conference?  Currently, I am  using
uuid_bridge to setup the bridge, in case you need to know that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.
Kevin