[Freeswitch-dev] skypiax (skype compatible) and celliax (gsm network) development plans

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Thu Jan 15 09:39:36 PST 2009

Hi FreeSWITCH developers

I would like to propose to the community my plans, so we can discuss
and coordinate efforts.

I developed a couple of channel drivers for Asterisk in the past
(works on both Linux and Windows), and I would like to port them to FS
and further enhance them.

The two endpoints are:
- Skypiax, Skype compatible, makes and receives calls to/from Skype
network and Skypeout service, using the Skype client as interface.
- Celliax, GSM and SMS endpoint, makes and receives voice calls and
SMSs to/from the GSM/CDMA network, using second hand cellphones and/or
embedded professional devices as interfaces

My aims are:

a) port both endpoints from Asterisk to FreeSWITCH
b) have both endpoints continue to support at least Linux and Windows on FS
c) I would like better having most of the endpoints code working for
both FreeSWITCH and Asterisk, maintaining separated the code that
interface with the GSM and Skype network, from the code that interface
with the core.

Skypiax, the skype compatible endpoint, is a fork of celliax, the GSM
endpoint, and they share the same skeleton and logic, so porting
celliax after having ported skypiax will be easier and faster :-).

Current situation and next steps:
1) skypiax (http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax) is now available
for testing and debugging, needs to be polished and cleaned
2) starting mid next week (I'll be back in office), I want to
integrate into skypiax the code and ideas from mod_airpe of Massimo
(ctrix), that has developed an alternative Skype compatible module,
and coordinate any future development with him and any other
interested developer
3) begin the porting of celliax to FS, aiming at a pre-beta release
for Linux and Windows during February.
4) coordinate further development of celliax with any other developer
interested in GSM, SMSs, CDMA, IDEN, AT commands, FBUS commands,
embedded devices, audio sampling

I am gmaruzz on #freeswitch and #freeswitch-dev, you can find more
info at www.celliax.org.

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli
www.celliax.org