[Freeswitch-dev] Portaudio upgrade

Tamas jalsot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 01:50:41 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the portaudio lib due to some issues with the
sound card in my box (I've found issues on 2 different boxes).
I'm trying to run FS on bleeding edge distro - as this is a desktop box
requiring fancy things - Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 x86_64/i386
I know that hot new ubuntu is not supported so I'm trying to work on by
myself - and give back if I have anything reasonable :)

As I saw on portaudio.com, there were some improvements with ALSA
handling and it should handle newer cards better now (non-mmap patch):
http://portaudio.com/trac/log/portaudio/trunk/src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c?rev=1415

As I've seen, there is some fix for windows's wdmks stuff too. I'm not
qualified to hack PA, but I can play with it a bit :)

What I would need to know is, which version (and source - as there is a
separate fork e.g. at audacity too) is the one the FS trunk is having
and what fixes/changes had been applied to it before merge (if I have
had the exact version of included PA, I could make a diff and see by
myself). From FS svn log I can see what changes were since the version bump-

 From FS svn log I see, that at r8835 we had the last version bump:

r8835 | anthm | 2008-06-25 00:15:50 +0200 (sze, 25 jún 2008) | 1 line
merge in newer portaudio

Are the changes in FS regarding PA sent to upstream? (I know, PA is used
to be pretty non-responsive)
Maybe it would be good to store the last PA version and source data in
tree to be able to upgrade easier in the future.

We are interested in improving the quality (mainly on windows) as we try
to use this excellent stuff as a softphone base :)

Regards,
    Tamas