[Freeswitch-dev] Bug in SIP URI: ; received="XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXX" is not valid (SIP BNF)

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed Nov 19 10:11:20 PST 2008

> Its sip... you learn to expect the unexpected.  I have personally seen
> some of the dumbest things possible in SIP with various phones.
>
> /b

I've been watching FS (and Asterisk) for the past 3 years and if there's
anything I've learned it's that SIP is a fickle friend. Saying that
something is "the most SIP compliant" device/endpoint/gadget isn't
exactly a bragging point. If every piece of SIP equipment out there
tried to adhere to the absolute letter of every SIP-related RFC then
nothing would work! (Yes, that's an exaggeration, but not a big one.)

Anyway, we're all stuck with SIP because no one could come up with
anything better *and* get enough telecom players to use it widely. So
instead we're all stuck with a grossly imperfect protocol that has its
strengths and weaknesses. The FS devs have chosen a wise course: make
their SIP implementation use the good stuff in SIP while trying to
minimize the stupid things that SIP allows and/or requires.

End of rant, thanks for listening.

-MC