[Freeswitch-dev] OT: Looking for a top notch linux engineer

RJ Auburn rj at voxeo.com
Tue May 13 11:01:06 EDT 2008

Folks,

Sorry for the off topic posting but I wanted to post this here to see
if anyone might be a good fit for a position we are looking to hire.

Voxeo currently has an opening for a senior linux engineer to take
point in finishing up and owning the linux/osx version of Voxeo's SIP
based Prophecy platform. We are looking for someone who has experience
porting a large projects with many 3rd party libraries and understands
how to implement real time services under linux.

The full job description is posted below. If you are interested or
know someone who might be please e-mail us at jobs at voxeo.com or myself
directly at rj at voxeo.com and please put down that you saw the posting
on the freeswitch mailing list.

Best regards,

	RJ

---
RJ Auburn
CTO, Voxeo Corporation
tel:+1-407-418-1800

Summary

Challenging work at an open-culture, profitable, pre-IPO, cutting-edge
technology company in downtown Orlando.

• Are you the go-to person for your company’s most challenging issues?

• Do you love to "teach a man to fish" and take time to teach others
how to use technology and solve its problems?

• Do you get frustrated by bureaucracy that keeps you from getting
work done and making customers happy?

• If so we should talk. We’re building a world class company and need
more people like you.

Company Background

Voxeo’s mission is to make it easy for anyone to create and deploy
voice applications that can run on any home, mobile, office, or VoIP
phone. Leading analyst firm Gartner says Voxeo is part of a select
group of companies that “will have a business impact on the future of
IT”. Voxeo is a profitable, pre-IPO, international, employee-owned,
Internet software company. Our technology is at the cutting edge of
Voice over IP (VoIP) and web 2.0 applications, standards, and mashups.

We want to revolutionize the telephone industry and are doing so every
day. We run the world’s largest voice application developer community
(over 30,000 members to date) and have hundreds of enterprise
customers in fields including telecom, consumer services, healthcare,
retail, government, and more.

At Voxeo we focus on building a team of incredible people and making
our customers extremely happy. We work hard, but we believe in
balance. We have numerous perks and benefits, including the best
health insurance in Florida, incentive stock options, free snacks and
drinks, an employee football team, catered lunch on Fridays, and poker
and movie nights.

Voxeo employees work in our 100% cubicle-free open-environment office
on the 20th floor of The Plaza – downtown Orlando’s newest office
building. Our culture is just as open as our office. Voxeo employees
are encouraged to ask for help from and offer help to anyone at any
time. Our culture comes from our roots in Silicon Valley, where many
of us helped start and build companies including Netscape, Yahoo!,
TellMe, and OpenWave.

Voxeo is built on a spirit of entrepreneurship. Many of our employees
have previously founded other successful tech companies, and you will
work directly with Voxeo’s co-founders on a daily basis.

Job Description

Voxeo is looking for a seasoned Linux Systems Engineer with
exceptional C/C++ development skills to spearhead Voxeo's Linux and
Mac OS X (FreeBSD) development projects. This is an exciting
opportunity to get in on the ground floor of efforts to bring our
Prophecy SIP Platform to enterprise Linux and Mac OS X. Ideal
candidates will have a passion for quickly crafting elegant solutions
that meet evolving business requirements. In this challenging position
you will be responsible for:

· Designing, implementing, and maintaining software targeting the
Linux OS.

· Implementing software in C/C++ using a variety of development tools
and platforms that will change over time.

· Designing, developing, and debugging software supporting a unified
communication platform.

· Developing unit tests and performing unit and integration testing.

· Enthusiastically helping the Customer Engineering team as they
troubleshoot customer issues.

· Assisting in the production of engineering documentation for both
internal and external audiences.

· Adopting agile development methodologies and participating with team
members in the planning and review of projects.

· Researching and sharing new technologies and development tools to
keep the team abreast of current technology.

Requirements

· Strong understanding of object oriented software development.

· Recent hands-on experience designing, implementing, and optimizing
real-time, networked, streaming media applications for Linux or Mac OS
X.

· Expert level proficiency authoring high-availability distributed C/C+
+ applications for Linux.

· Familiarity with core Linux system APIs for networking (UDP & TCP
sockets), process control, threading, and synchronization.

· Hands-on experience building, deploying, and configuring Linux
applications within a data-center context.

· Demonstrable verbal and written technical communication skills.
Candidates must be able to quickly and accurately communicate ideas at
a whiteboard, in a chat, over IM, or in an email. Voxeons are a well-
connected group!

· Excellent analytical, problem solving, project/time management, and
quality assurance skills.

· Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to establish and
maintain effective professional working relationships.

· Ability to succeed in a fast-paced office environment where teamwork
and multi-tasking are a must.

Desired:

· Development experience on CentOS or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

· Familiarity with VoIP protocols (SIP, RTP, MRCP, etc.) and speech
recognition or text-to-speech systems.

· Proficiency with telecommunications and/or telephony XML languages
such as VoiceXML, CCXML, or CallXML.

· Strong grasp of Java and JavaEE technologies such as Servlets and JMS.

· Audio/video background with experience developing or using plugins,
codecs, or soft-DSP filters.

· Embedded Linux device driver and kernel module coding, debugging
experience preferred.

· Participation in community, open source, and standards based
development projects.

· Experienced developing cross-platform networked software -
especially for Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X.

Candidates will be asked to submit a sample of their code.

Benefits:

100% company-paid health, vision, dental, and short-term disability
insurance

Incentive Stock Options and bonus plan

New MacBook Pro notebook. No old Dell-hand-me-downs here.

New Verizon Blackberry 8830 phone. (We’d use iPhones… but not until
Apple supports open app dev and carrier unlocking is always guaranteed
to work.)

Three minute walk to popular downtown restaurants, bars, and a brand-
new 12 screen movie theatre

Free parking at our downtown Orlando office

Challenging work and significant career growth at Orlando’s fastest
growing tech company

The opportunity to revolutionize how people use and create
applications for any phone

Free education and certification in highly desired technologies such
as VoIP and VoiceXML

Work directly with top experts in SIP VoIP technology and W3C web
standards

You can learn more about Voxeo by checking out:

Our corporate site – www.voxeo.com
Our developer site – evolution.voxeo.com
Our Flickr page – www.flickr.com/photos/voxeo

Interested?

Then please, contact us by emailing [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
Be sure to note the position title that you are applying for.

We asked all of our employees what they thought we should mention in
our job postings. Here’s some of what they had to say:

“This company would be a hot commodity in Silicon Valley, but having
an opportunity to work for a company like this in Orlando is rare and
a huge thing for folks who don't want to have to move out of state.”

“I applied for a job here, but definitely got more than I bargained
for, I found a place I can call home.”

“The item that really hooked me in my job interview is the health
benefits. That's a huge difference in Voxeo compared to other firms.”

“One of the great points about working at Voxeo is the opportunity to
work and learn directly with the company's top engineers and
executives.”

“Corporate culture is one of the perks that has kept us from being a
‘turn and burn’ company … a large factor in our hiring process is a
good culture fit, we would be remiss if we didn't stress the fact that
we are looking for cool people to work with.”

“I think you should say that Voxeo provides all of the tools that
allow you to perform the challenging work, including telephone, laptop
and the software you need to excel at any position.”

“To a lot of people in IT right now, the ‘MacBook Pro’ has become the
‘hot’ laptop to have and most people will never dream of getting one
because they are stuck in a space where all they will ever see are
Dell laptops of various vintages.”

“The great thing here is the opportunity to learn. The chance to
increase your skill set exponentially in a cutting edge field and to
feel truly needed and satisfied at the end of the day. Hard to
quantify that sort of job experience but it is invaluable.”

“I think a key point that we are trying to capture is that everyone at
Voxeo works hard but we love what are working on. I think if there is
some way to put down that the entire company loves what they are doing
and you don’t have dead wood around is a nice thing.”

“Speaking as a relative Voxeonoob, the office was a definite selling
point in coming here. The view and top-floor-prestige aside, you can't
understate the importance of clean bathrooms.”

“We definitely have a fun and fabulous group of people.”

“Everyone that works here has such a great personality and makes you
feel right at home. The employees at Voxeo are accountable and
extremely intellectual individuals, but they also know how to enjoy
the day and laugh at the lighter side of things.”

“I think the 'can do' culture should be in there, every employee is
empowered to help the customer and to create a better solution.”

“The fact that the company and some of the people are Silicon Valley
transplants has a certain appeal. We should consider mentioning that.”

“For me, the best part about working at Voxeo is our team family, and
the culture of voxeo. We are intensely technical, and we work very
hard, and we don't take it all too seriously.”

“I think Voxeo is a rarity for the Florida market. Opportunities to
work with a successful, high-tech, industry-leading company are few
and far between in this area.”

“One of the most attractive benefits for many people is our 100%
company paid health insurance. That benefit alone can be the deal
breaker for a potential employee. I would put that at the top of the
benefits list.”

“One of the best things about being a Voxeon is that you have access
to the highest level of management in an open and laid back setting.
Often times people care more about who they work worth and enjoying
coming to work each day then pay, benefits, etc.”

“I like the ‘Teach a man to fish’ reference. I would find a way to
emphasize that management is just as involved in the technology as the
employees are.”

“I think the all-hands and quarterly financial meetings are something
that not all companies offer, and are seen as a benefit to many as
they expose the insides of the company, show that Voxeo is very open
about the state of the company, and allow the employees to participate
in discussions that affect the company on the whole. “

“The fact that you (the CEO) are asking us (the employees) for input
on this job posting should somehow be conveyed in there as well. And
it's not just the job posting, you send out things like this all of
the time, showing how much you value all of our input.”