[Freeswitch-dev] Sounds for pending 1.0.2/Hardware

Stéphane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Wed Dec 17 20:43:20 PST 2008

>>> The english sounds are listed in docs/phrases, there is a file in
>>> there for
>>> french, but it probably needs updated translations.
>> I can take care of it. Is there a JIRA I need to reference for this?
> New ticket: FSSCRIPTS-11

I need one clarification: in the "misc" series, is "transfer"
(transfer2.wav) used as a verb or noun?

[Sorry for the large diffusion for the notes below, I'm not sure who's
maintaining phrase_en.xml.]

Some comments for future revisions (and new languages):

- It would be useful to include intended usage in the english file to
help with translation. For example "negative" can be pronounced (in
French) as "négatif" or "négative" depending on the noun used with it.
I assume other languages will have similar issues with words which
don't cause problems in French (for example the adjective "selected"
can be translated as four different written forms, but they are all
pronounced the same way).

- Since isolated English words can be ambiguous and could be used by
designers as different roles (e.g. "call" can be a noun and part of a
verb), it's probably better to build snippets of sentences rather than
single words (for example "to call" -> "pour appeler" vs "your call"
-> "votre appel").

- I can't think of a way to translate the single word "not" in French.
(Typically you'd have to change the structure of the sentence to
achieve the result.)

 - "hour", "hours", and "oclock" end up being the same sound in
French. Same with "minute" and "minutes", "second" and "seconds".
"message" and "messages", .. Not sure how to mark this (or whether it
matters -- for example to estimate the cost of recording a language?).

-  For what it's worth, the "fr" file is probably valid for fr_FR and
fr_CA, but not for fr_BE and fr_CH because of some regional
differences (e.g. "soixante-dix" vs "septante" for 70).

- Similarly, I noticed the German translation used "euros" for
"dollars.wav"; whether we're building a file for fr_CA or fr_FR would
influence what the content should be. (I'm assuming fr_CA for now and
will leave cents and dollars.)

S.