[Freeswitch-dev] Licensing (was: Re: Questions regarding the architecture)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Sep 7 15:51:57 EDT 2006

Brian West wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Alex Guan wrote:
>
>> Two more basic questions:
>>
>> 1. Licensing.  A main problem I saw with Asterisk is it's GPL/Digium
>> dual licensing scheme.  I don't see any serious business development
>> could be possible under this license.  I think Mark and his company
>> have made a big mistake on this subject.  (And their business model as
>> well.)  What's the main rationale for you/other founders to choose
>> MPL?  Do you favour/oppose to commercial development using freeswitch
>> in their proprietary systems?
>
> The MPL allows you to commercialize the code.  But Anthony can elaborate
> on this subject more than I can.  I don't want to speak on his behalf.

The Open Source Initiative (OSI) is actively working to reduce the
number of licenses. For instance we have deprecated the Jabber Open
Source License (which was quite similar to MPL, but more friendly to
companies since it reduced some risk regarding warranties etc.):

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/jabberpl.php

But perhaps a BSD-style license is a little too loose for FreeSWITCH?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation