[Freeswitch-dev] Compiling dependencies inline

Paul Tinsley jackhammer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 02:04:01 EDT 2006

I don't want to turn this into a holy war but I would much rather have the
flexibility and feature set to at least understand what a dependency is.
And given that you can either do them auto or manual, and inside of that
specify less than greater than or equal to a certain version I don't see how
it's so bad.  I'll take yum -yi crazy_package_with_15_deps over the try
install grab another try install grab another dance any day. Using Slackware
packages is like going back in time 5 years.

If you take the time and #1 read the docs on rpm and #2 put some thought
into your package layout you can end up with something that works really
well.  There are some really crappy packages out there but unfortunately rpm
can't really protect you from those...  The features I take advantage of in
RPM on a daily basis in my "day job" save me days a year of maintenance
nightmares.  Tracking changed config files automatically and not replacing
them, seamless upgrades with post-implementation scripts to do any clean-up
or service restarts, easy separation of package contents into sub packages,
build-prereqs, prereqs, dependancies and yum.