[Freeswitch-dev] Integration of external libraries into FreeSwitch

Bielicki Michal michal.bielicki at voiceworks.pl
Fri Oct 6 04:11:18 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-06, at 01:44, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:15:10AM +0400, Konstantin Cherkasoff wrote:
>> Hi, Roman!
>>
>>> CONS:
>>>     * everytime we actually need something from the upstream
>>>       version it would have to be manually sync'ed up with the
>>>       FreeSwitch SVN (hence ORIGIN|README).
>>
>> It seems there's no high development activity in the upstream:
>> * libresample-0.1.3.tgz (LGPL) (released Jan, 7, 2004)
>>
>> Guys from audacity team included libresample into source tree
>>
>> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/audacity/lib-src/
>>
>> Here is some explanation:
>> http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Libresample
>>

>> Though, I don't think it's a major priority task to redesign build
>> process and source tree.
>
>   Ok. Here's why I'm personally interested in doing it:
>
>     1. FFmpeg integration will hapen in that fashion if it
>     happens at all. It would be much more extra work for
>     me to do it otherwise.
>
>     2. It is incredibly hard to control how libraries are
>     built w.r.t. compiler options and such unless we have
>     a tighter integration I've described. This makes my
>     job much harder as far as performance tuning of the
>     FreeSwitch is concerned.
>
>  Now, #1 doesn't mean that every other library should follow,
> and #2 could be dismissed on the grounds that premature
> optimization is not that useful anyway, but these are
> my reasons.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Hey Roman,
I added macros for optimization and debug features per compiler to
the build system. Those macros are now used for:
libspeakup
srtp
libteletone
libresample
and the freeswitch core.
Next step now is to replace the building process for the modules by
inherited automake from the core build process and also switch to one
make, make install instead of make, make modules etc ..
Could you scan through the macros and give any comments as to if we
should change the flags for sunpro ?

cheers
Michał

Michał Bielicki