[Freeswitch-dev] Integration of external libraries into FreeSwitch

Roman Shaposhnick rvs at sun.com
Thu Oct 5 19:44:02 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:15:10AM +0400, Konstantin Cherkasoff wrote:
> Hi, Roman!
>
> > CONS:
> >     * everytime we actually need something from the upstream
> >       version it would have to be manually sync'ed up with the
> >       FreeSwitch SVN (hence ORIGIN|README).
>
> It seems there's no high development activity in the upstream:
> * libresample-0.1.3.tgz (LGPL) (released Jan, 7, 2004)
>
> Guys from audacity team included libresample into source tree
>
> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/audacity/lib-src/
>
> Here is some explanation:
> http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Libresample
>

> Though, I don't think it's a major priority task to redesign build
> process and source tree.

  Ok. Here's why I'm personally interested in doing it:

    1. FFmpeg integration will hapen in that fashion if it
    happens at all. It would be much more extra work for
    me to do it otherwise.

    2. It is incredibly hard to control how libraries are
    built w.r.t. compiler options and such unless we have
    a tighter integration I've described. This makes my
    job much harder as far as performance tuning of the
    FreeSwitch is concerned.

 Now, #1 doesn't mean that every other library should follow,
and #2 could be dismissed on the grounds that premature
optimization is not that useful anyway, but these are
my reasons.

Thanks,
Roman.