[Freeswitch-users] Retiring the FreeSWITCH Mailing list

Brian West brian at freeswitch.com
Tue Jan 3 21:26:06 UTC 2023

FreeSWITCHers,

Most of you already know me, but for anyone that doesn’t - I’m one of the
founders of FreeSWITCH, and I’m the primary administrator for the mailing
list.

This mailing list has served the community well for almost 15 years now. As
the mailing list has grown continuously larger and been stretched to the
limits of its capabilities, it has been running into bigger issues.
Especially in the last year, we’ve seen numerous issues that prevent people
from joining and participating – bounces, unintended unsubscribes, spam
filtering, and more.

We didn’t want to shut down the mailing list without having a replacement
set up, and a forum was the obvious choice – the community has been
requesting a proper forum for years now. In addition to being more easily
accessible and searchable, we hope the forum will simply be a better
experience for everyone using it compared to the mailing list.

To join the new forum, visit forum.signalwire.community - it uses SSO from
your free SignalWire account, which allows us to be more lenient with
moderation because we've got an assumed level of trust, and also reduces
the overall level of spam in the forums. We've got the forum set so you can
view without an account, so check it out with no obligation.

If you’d like to receive updates via email, you can set that up in your
user preferences on the forum. You can even reply to forum topics via
email, though you’ll need to visit the forum to start a new topic (top
level post). Also note the digest/summary emails will stop sending if you
don’t log into the site periodically: currently you need to log in every
180 days.

Not interested in the forum, but still looking for community spaces? You’re
welcome to join our Community Slack <https://slack.signalwire.community/>,
join the subreddit <https://www.reddit.com/r/freeswitch/>, or attend our Office
Hours <https://mailchi.mp/freeswitch.org/office-hours>.

If you want to continue using the mailing list until we sunset it, you’re
welcome to do so. We’ve disabled new sign ups as of today, and we’ll
formally stop supporting it as of March 15, 2023. This should give everyone
plenty of time to set up in our other community spaces.

Thanks,

/b

--

Brian West | Co-founder and Developer