[Freeswitch-users] AWS - Audio Delay - rtp timer

Jacob Greene jacobgreene1991 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:02:30 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

Recently, I am running into an issue with some severe audio delay  with
some freeswitch boxes running on AWS. It gets to the point where audio is
delayed up to 10 seconds in both directions. The calls start off fine and
slowly get worse.

The only way I've been able to fix this is by disabling the rtp timer on
the sofia profile(rtp-timer-name=none). Making this change immediately
fixes the issue.

No obvious system bottlenecks, 1/5/15 min load averages all less 1 on dual
core CPUs, tons of free memory, no I/O issues on the nic, etc.

I suspect this might have something to do with some weird CPU sharing AWS
is doing on their hypervisor, but I'm not sure.

I can't find a ton of info on exactly what the rtp timer does, other than
disabling it "disables asynchronous rtp" and "makes freeswitch handle media
the same way as asterisks". I'm not really sure what this means. I've read
it's less effecient and come across a couple very old post on the mailing
list of Anthony steering people away from disabling the rtp-timer.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or does anyone have some more
information/resources regarding exactly what the function of the rtp timer
is? I'm trying to get in front of this. What are the drawbacks of not using
an rtp timer?

Thanks for reading!